Saturday, June 10, 2006

Who Cares About Soccer? - A Rant!

Who cares about soccer? Not me! I just can't figure it out. The Soccer World Cup started yesterday in Germany, and the entire English nation seems to be flying the flag of St. George - except me. Cars have small flagpoles flying the thing; people have draped their houses with bunting and fly the flag from makeshift flagpoles; I've seen people with the red cross on white painted on their faces and cheeks - all for the sake of supporting 11 overpaid and cosseted "stars" in the arduous process of kicking a bladder of wind up and down a field for 90 minutes or so. Turn on the TV (pick a channel, any channel...) and you'll find televised soccer. The news comes on and you can guarantee there'll be at least half the program taken up with the latest exploits on the pitch.

I don't CARE!!! There're far more important things going on in this world and soccer doesn't matter a damn!

There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country who have no interest in the sport, who just have to hunker down and try to ignore a whole month of this s-h- one - t. If you're a guy who doesn't take an interest in the "glorious game" then you're considered very odd, if not gay. I'm neither. By pure coincidence I'll be in the USA for the last two weeks of the whole sorry mess, and I'll not miss it one bit!

Normal service will now be resumed on your now officially designated soccer-free zone!

No comments: