Wednesday, February 08, 2006


Ajay's Blogspot



Mr. Grey and the Hotel Ghosts.

This is my new novel, launched on Monday 6th February 2006 at Liquid Silver Books! Many folks have liked the intriguing excerpt selected by Tina Burns, and praised the excellent cover design by April Martinez.
*
When she has to sell a haunted hotel in New York City, Claudia Mackenzie calls on the best advisor around - British ghost hunter Martin Grey. Expecting a super-nerd, what she gets is a tall, handsome guy with a sexy accent who plucks all the right heartstrings!

Together they tackle the mystery of the Chestnut Mansion Hotel, a mystery that takes them back in time to witness a bitter family feud, murder, and the theft of an heirloom. As events unfold it soon seems it's not only ghosts they have to worry about! A real-life enemy is on their trail. Can their growing closeness give them the strength to face the danger?

*
Excerpt...

Claudia leaned on the table and read aloud from the newspaper in front of her.

"'Joseph Cloverdale, Captain, 104th New York Regiment, late of Wilmington, North Carolina. Died in the course of saving lives during a terrible fire at the Chestnut Mansion Hotel. Buried at Our Lady of Grace cemetery, New York City, 12th February, 1863. Given a public funeral with full military honors in tribute to his heroism.""

They were in the public library, checking the newspaper archives. The warm, dry, unemotional atmosphere of the library seemed a million miles removed from the upheaval generated by their experiences of the night. By some instinctive, tacit agreement, neither Martin or Claudia yet acknowledged what had happened. Neither felt ready to confront it.

"Any mention of his wife?" Martin asked.

"She survived the fire unscathed. At the funeral they gave her the flag which draped his coffin. There's a daguerreotype picture of the scene."

"It would have been a comfort, I suppose, knowing her husband died saving others instead of taking lives in battle."

Claudia nodded somberly. "Yeah, I guess. Here, it goes on to mention the fire itself. '"Suspected to be arson, due to the sudden onset and the speed with which it spread."" And here: "'Following an incident at the ball given in honor of the 104th Regiment, James Cloverdale, estranged brother of the deceased, was arrested. He later escaped from temporary military custody with the aid of fellow Southern sympathizers.""

"Interesting," Martin commented.

"Isn't it, though? And here: "'Senator Murdoch of Ohio, a sponsor of the deceased Captain, sees the mark of Cain on James Cloverdale in the foul deed which took the life of a gallant officer. He berates the bloody band of Southern agitators present in the shadows of the city and calls upon the mayor and governor to sweep them from the city."" She grimaced. "Trust a politician to make capital out of a disaster. They never change."

"I thought he was an oily sort at the time," Martin remarked, then flushed and cleared his throat.

"Yeah, so did I." Claudia didn't quite meet his eye. "Oh, damn it, Martin!" She sighed and closed the folder then turned to face him squarely. "We can't dance around this until the end of time. Those people in the past; Joseph and Claire Cloverdale. Were we them or not?"

"I think we were just along for the ride." Martin shrugged. "I wasn't aware of Joseph knowing I was there in his head. Did you sense anything from Claire?"

"Not a peep. But I could see everything, feel everything; sense her emotions. She sure loved her husband," she added quietly.

"And he loved her."

Claudia's lips twitched. "He was good in bed, too!"

"Er...yes. And so was she."

They looked at each other.

The librarian emerged from her office to throw them out just before they totally collapsed from laughing.


* * * *
If you want more, go buy the book!
* * * *

The Hotel Ghost's storyline had run through my mind for more years than I care to count, evolving slowly to its present form. With luck and a following wind, it'll be the first of many romantica adventures featuring Martin Grey and Claudia Mackenzie. The next, a full novel, is just about ready to roll out, and the third is in draft form. Watch this space...

2 comments:

Caffey said...

Hi again, its Cathie. I am so glad I found your blog a nd going to see if you have a site, but too, I got a gothic feel reading this. I saw it before at LS and been thinking a bout this one. So I think you've found a fan, smile.
I'll see if you have a site and newsletter so I can know when your books are out. I often forget to go back to the blog so I love knowing when there are updates.
Cathie

A J said...

Thanks again, Cathie! It's so reassuring to know readers do like and appreciate what I write. I'm currently in the process of setting up a new website hosted by Liquid Silver, which I think will be more comprehensive than my early effort :) I've submitted a second Mr. Grey novel to Liquid Silver, and I'm hoping to hear yay/nay soon.